For the ultimate comfort food on a cold night, you can’t beat a good stew – and our light dumplings steal the show!
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 700g lean beef steak, visible fat removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 turnips or 1 swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 600ml hot beef stock
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
for the dumplings
- 50g plain flour
- 25g vegetable suet
- Small handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3.
- Spray a large non-stick casserole pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the beef and stir-fry until browned. Add the garlic, onions, carrots, turnips or swede, stock and dried herbs. Season lightly, cover tightly and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, put the flour, suet and parsley in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and 2-3 tablespoons cold water and mix well to make a soft dough. Season well and divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Shape each one into a ball and set aside.
- When the stew has been cooking for 2 hours, remove the lid and place the dumplings on top. Cook uncovered for a further 20-25 minutes.
- Divide the stew and dumplings equally between 4 bowls and serve with your favourite vegetables.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
After that, bring a new member along and get a week free!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.