Braised red cabbage with pork
Steaming hot spicy red cabbage is a really warming winter dish. You can add some diced cooked leftover pork to make this glorious red mixture into a more substantial meal.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 juniper berries, crushed (optional)
- 1 x 225g cooking apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 700g red cabbage, finely shredded
- Pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- 110g vegetable stock
- 2 tbsps red wine
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 350g cooked leftover pork, diced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 level tsps redcurrant jelly
- ½ tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- Spray a large flameproof casserole dish with low calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat. Add the onion and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the juniper berries and apple and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the red cabbage, spices, stock, wine and wine vinegar. Cover the casserole and place in a preheated oven at 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- After 30 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven and stir in the pork. Cover and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is cooked and tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the redcurrant jelly. Scatter with caraway seeds and serve piping hot.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group
Lose weight without hunger! You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.
Find a group in your county
Search for a group
or become an online member