Braised red cabbage with pork
Steaming hot spicy red cabbage is a really warming winter dish. You can add some diced cooked leftover pork to make this glorious red mixture into a more substantial meal.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 juniper berries, crushed (optional)
- 1 x 225g cooking apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 700g red cabbage, finely shredded
- Pinch each of ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- 110g vegetable stock
- 2 tbsps red wine
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 350g cooked leftover pork, diced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 level tsps redcurrant jelly
- ½ tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- Spray a large flameproof casserole dish with low calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat. Add the onion and cook gently for about 5 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the juniper berries and apple and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the red cabbage, spices, stock, wine and wine vinegar. Cover the casserole and place in a preheated oven at 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
- After 30 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven and stir in the pork. Cover and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is cooked and tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the redcurrant jelly. Scatter with caraway seeds and serve piping hot.