Parsnips, carrots and spinach take centre-stage in this soothing pie, topped with an irresistible layer of crispy, creamy mash.
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and diced
- Large bag of spinach, roughly chopped
- 400ml boiling vegetable stock
- 150g frozen peas
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas 7.
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, parsnips and spinach and stir-fry for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are starting to colour but are still crunchy. Add 350ml of the stock, the peas and the mustard powder and stir well. Season to taste and spoon into a medium-sized pie dish.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the saucepan along with the remaining stock. Mash until smooth then spoon on top of the vegetables, smooth with a fork and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Scatter over the parsley and serve hot.
Tip: For extra luxury, stir 60g grated reduced fat Cheddar-style cheese into the mash and add 2½ Syns per serving. (If using cheese this recipe would not be suitable for vegans.)
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 3rd November and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5.00 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member and get a week free.
AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our One for all cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.