Great on its own, or as an accompaniment to roast lamb, this Welsh onion cake is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
- 225g green cabbage, finely shredded
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 500g onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 900g Maris Piper potatoes, thinly sliced
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas 5. Blanch the shredded cabbage in a pan of boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Spray a pan with low calorie cooking spray, add the onions, a little salt and one sprig of rosemary. Cover and cook gently over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often. Discard the rosemary and set aside.
- Spray the potato slices all over with low calorie cooking spray and season. Arrange half the potatoes in the bottom of an ovenproof frying pan, overlapping, in a circle. Add a layer of cabbage, a layer of onions and finally another layer of potatoes. Place the pan on the hob over a medium heat for 5 minutes to colour the bottom, then transfer to the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Place a plate on top of the frying pan and turn out the onion cake. Remove the leaves from the remaining sprig of rosemary and chop. Garnish with the chopped rosemary and serve with steamed green beans.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay at your first group!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group
Lose weight without hunger! You'll find more delicious recipe and menu ideas at your local group, along with all the help you need to get started and reach your target weight.
Find a group in your county
Search for a group
or become an online member