Great on its own, or as an accompaniment to roast lamb, this Welsh onion cake is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
- 225g green cabbage, finely shredded
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 500g onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 900g Maris Piper potatoes, thinly sliced
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Blanch the shredded cabbage in a pan of boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Spray a pan with low-calorie cooking spray, add the onions, a little salt and 1 sprig rosemary. Cover and cook gently over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often. Discard the rosemary and set aside.
- Spray the potato slices all over with low-calorie cooking spray and season. Arrange half the potatoes in the bottom of an ovenproof frying pan, overlapping, in a circle. Add a layer of cabbage, a layer of onions and finally another layer of potatoes. Place the pan on the hob over a medium heat for 5 minutes to colour the bottom, then transfer to the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Place a plate on top of the frying pan and flip over to turn out the cake. Remove the leaves from the remaining sprig of rosemary and chop. Garnish with the chopped rosemary and serve with steamed green beans.
Sign up for your free 7 day eating plan & email newsletter
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join by the 3rd November and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5.00 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! After that, bring a new member and get a week free.
AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our One for all cookbook, saving an extra £14.85!
Visit www.slimmingworld.co.uk/near-me to find your nearest group.